M2M, IoT, Sensors, and Connected World: Market and Forecast 2015 – 2020
Sensors are used in ICT for detection of changes in the physical and/or logical relationship of one object to another(s) and/or the environment. Physical changes may include temperature, light, pressure, sound, and motion. Logical changes include the presence/absence of an electronically traceable entity, location, and/or activity. Within an Internet of Things (IoT) context, physical and logical changes are equally important.
This report assesses the overall sensor marketplace for IoT, evaluates leading vendors, identifies key IoT functionality in support of sensors, and forecasts the market for sensor adoption and revenue. The report covers three key areas within the sensor ecosystem:
- Sensors: H/W and S/W designed and Developed to Suit IoT deployments
- Protocols: Designed and developed to drive Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) in IoT
- Sensor Data: Through Sensor Fusion / Multi-sensing / Soft Sensors
All purchases of Mind Commerce reports includes time with an expert analyst who will help you link key findings in the report to the business issues you're addressing. This needs to be used within three months of purchasing the report.
- Sensor companies
- Internet of Things companies
- Wireless device manufacturers
- Wearable technology suppliers
- Digital signal processor providers
- Telephony infrastructure providers
- Computer and semiconductor companies
- Embedded hardware, software and OS providers
- Mobile/wireless network operators and service providers
- Next generation application developers and content providers
- Consumer electronics merchandisers and application providers
- EMEA will lead the market 13.5 billion sensors in 2020 with a CAGR of 51.3%
- North America ranks second with 9 billion units by 2020 with a CAGR of 46.6%
- A key ecosystem function, IoT Mediation will evolve in three stages as assessed in the report
- Most of sensors will be used in industrial applications followed by personal IoT, largely in the wearables category
- IIoT will comprise 94% of the total IIoT business through 2020, representing a huge driver for various sensor-enabled industrial apps
Companies in Report:
- 365 Agile Limited (365 Agile Group Plc)
- Ambiq Micro
- B+B SmartWorx
- Bosch Connected Devices and Solutions GmbH (BCDS)
- Digi International
- Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)
- Fairchild Semiconductors International
- LeddarTech Inc.
- Nanjing IoT Sensor Technology Co., Ltd.
- NYCE Sensors Inc.
- Open Sensors Ltd.
- Sensata Technologies
- Seraphim Sense Ltd.
- Silicon Laboratories, Inc.
- Texas Instruments Inc.
- Wovyn LLC.
- ZigBee Alliance
- Z-Wave Alliance
Table of Contents:
1.1.1 Scope of Study
1.1.2 Intended Audience
1.1.3 Companies Mentioned in the Report
2 Executive Summary
3 Sensors in IoT Industry Assessment
3.1 Sensors: Technology and Developments
3.1.1 Smart Sensors
3.1.2 Transducer Electronic Data Sheets (TEDS)
3.1.3 Smart Transducer Interface Module and Network Capable Application Processor
3.2 Wireless Sensor Network (WSN)
3.2.1 Sensor Nodes
3.2.2 WSN Topologies
3.2.3 Applications and Challenges
3.3 Virtual / Soft Sensors, Multi-sensing, and Sensor Fusion
3.4 Internet of Things (IoT) and Connected World
3.4.1 Personal IoT (PIoT) / Consumer IoT
184.108.40.206 Connected Home Entertainment Devices
220.127.116.11 Connected Home Security and Monitoring Devices
18.104.22.168 Connected Home Energy Conservation Devices
22.214.171.124 Connected Home Utility Monitoring Devices
126.96.36.199 Connected Car
3.4.2 Industrial IoT (IIoT)
188.8.131.52 Smart Manufacturing
184.108.40.206 Smart Utility
220.127.116.11 Smart Tracking (Cargo and Transport)
18.104.22.168 Smart Instrumentation in Oil and Gas Industry
22.214.171.124 Smart Healthcare
3.5 Role of WSN and Sensor Fusion in IoT
3.5.1 IoT Protocols used in WSN
126.96.36.199 ZigBee Alliance
188.8.131.52 Z-Wave Alliance
184.108.40.206 Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)
3.6 Sensor Analytics
4 Markets for Sensors in Connected World 2015 - 2020
4.1 Demand for Sensors in IoT to reach to 30 Billion Units by 2020
4.2 Automation to be Market Leader
4.3 Demand for Sensors by Industry Category 2015 - 2020
4.4 IIoT to be Leading Sector for Sensor-related Business Revenue
4.5 EMEA to Lead the Market for IoT Sensors through 2020
5 Future of Sensors in IoT
5.1 Sensor Data Management and IoT Security/Privacy Management
5.1.1 Sensor Data Management
5.1.2 Sensors and IoT Services and Infrastructure Mediation
5.2 Roadmap to One Trillion Sensors
5.2.1 Opportunity for Sensor Manufacturers
5.2.2 Demand for Short Range Sensors to Realize Brisk Growth
5.2.3 Opportunity for Systems-on-Chip (SoC) Fabricators
5.2.4 Use of IPV6 brings New Opportunities from Massive Connectivity
6 Key Company Profiles
6.1 365 Agile Limited (365 Agile Group Plc)
6.2 Ambiq Micro
6.3 B+B SmartWorx
6.4 Bosch Connected Devices and Solutions GmbH (BCDS)
6.5 Digi International
6.6 Fairchild Semiconductors International
6.7 LeddarTech Inc.
6.8 Nanjing IoT Sensor Technology Co., Ltd.
6.9 NYCE Sensors Inc.
6.10 Open Sensors Ltd.
6.11 Sensata Technologies
6.12 Seraphim Sense Ltd.
6.13 Silicon Laboratories, Inc.
6.14 Texas Instruments Inc.
6.16 Wovyn LLC.
Figure 1: Sensor Demand by Market segment
Figure 2: Elements of Traditional Sensor
Figure 3: Elements of Smart Sensor
Figure 4: Smart Sensor Model
Figure 5: Smart Sensor Model with Functional Partitioning
Figure 6: Components of Sensor Node
Figure 7: Wireless Sensor Network Topologies
Figure 8: Markets for Sensor by Industry Category 2015 and 2020 (%)
Figure 9: Demand for Sensor by Industry Category 2015 and 2020 (%)
Figure 10: Global IoT Markets 2015 - 2020 ($Billions)
Figure 11: Markets for Sensors by IoT Type 2015 – 2020 (Units Millions)
Figure 12: Markets for IoT Sensors by Region 2015 – 2020 (Units Millions)
Figure 13: Internet of Things Infrastructure, Platform, and Software Mediation
Figure 14: Phase One: Limited IoT Data Sharing without Formalized Mediation
Figure 15: Phase Two: IoT Data Sharing between Limited Industries
Figure 16: Phase Two: Broadly shared IoT Data across Industries and between Competitors
Table 1: Overview of TEDs
Table 2: Markets for Sensor by Industry Category 2015 - 2020 (Units Millions)
Table 3: Global IoT Markets 2015 - 2020 ($Billions)
Table 4: Markets for Sensors by IoT Type 2015 – 2020 (Units Millions)
Table 5: Markets for IoT Sensors by Region 2015 – 2020 (Units Millions)